Join us in making the University of Mississippi a happier, healthier, more efficient, and more sustainable campus. Below you can find information on how you can directly participate in our sustainability efforts.
Three steps to take to get involved:
(1) Act: Join a Group, Take Action
(2) Learn: Read Tips/Guidelines, Know the Facts
(3) Share: Share with your friends and colleagues, Join the Facebook group
Environmental Action Groups (EAG)
Students, staff, and faculty who want to make a difference on campus are encouraged to join or create an Environmental Action Group (EAG) in an area of their interest.
Several EAG’s are currently their early stages of development:
- Energy Conservation;
- Green Building Mayors;
- Recycling/Waste Minimization;
- Outreach & Education;
- Sustainable Contractual Services; and
- Campus Carbon Footprint.
These groups will meet periodically throughout the year and will be responsible for creating and running new initiatives on campus. To join an EAG or if you are interested in starting a new group, please send an email to email@example.com and specify your interest.
Task Force on Energy, Environment, & Sustainability
The University of Mississippi has established a Task Force on Energy, Environment, and Sustainability to promote environmental management and sustainable development throughout campus – in academics as well as operations. In general, the task force will be responsible for developing and implementing a long-term campus sustainability plan that will address goals to:
- Engage the campus in an ongoing dialogue about reaching operational efficiency and environmental sustainability
- Integrate environmental sustainability with existing campus programs in education, research, operations, and public service
- Instill a culture of sustainability in UM’s long-range planning and forward-thinking design
Students for a Green Campus
Students for a Green Campus (SGC) is a student led organization focused on promoting the UM Green Initiative and supporting a variety of sustainability initiatives across campus. For more information on SGC or if you are interested in becoming a member, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Environmental Law Society
The mission of the Environmental Law Society (ELS) is to promote discussion and awareness of environmental issues by hosting speakers and student discussion with attorneys practicing environmental law, coordinating community projects, and promoting social activities. The goals of ELS are to enhance legal education through the environmental law program at University of Mississippi Law School and to promote internships/externships and career opportunities in environmental law in both the public and private sectors. Currently, ELS is working on publishing its first online environmental law newsletter entitled NewsREEL in conjunction with the Mississippi Bar.
- Top Actions to Start Taking Now: Every day actions impact the environment even though we may not realize it. By choosing certain actions over others, we can lessen the negative impact our actions have on the environment. Small actions done by a large number of people can have huge results! It is up to us whether the results are positive or negative.
- Athletics / Green Grove Campaign
Actions to take in your home
Visit the Resources section for more information on how you can take small steps to lessen your impact and lower your carbon footprint.
Donate to the Green Initiative Fund
Help Ole Miss grow and sustain green initiatives. Show your support and donate today.
Green Grove Initiative
If you would like to learn more about how to green your tailgate in the Grove, read about the Green Grove Campaign.