Apply to serve as a Green Grove Ambassador!
Applications now open for Fall 2017
Deadline to Apply: May 31, 2017
Green Grove Ambassadors are students with a strong desire to serve in a leadership capacity with the Office of Sustainability’s Green Grove Gameday Recycling Program and directly influence a culture of sustainability at the university. Ambassadors serve as knowledgeable, professional points of contact for volunteers and fans during football gamedays and are key to the success of Green Grove. Ambassadors work closely with Green Grove Gameday Coordinators and Office of Sustainability staff to assess effectiveness of efforts and implement new ideas where needed. The 2017 Green Grove Ambassador cohort is limited to 12 students. Please note that the Green Grove Ambassador program is a volunteer leadership opportunity.
Green Grove Ambassador Requirements:
• Must have volunteered previously with the Green Grove Initiative
• Must be available to serve as an Ambassador for five of seven home football games and attend weekly meetings during fall semester. On a home football game week, Ambassadors should expect to serve for a total of 3-3.5 hours (this includes the weekly meeting and 2-2.5 hours of service on gameday).
• Must be in good academic standing and have no active record of university disciplinary action at time of application or appointment.
Green Grove Ambassador Expectations:
• Attend weekly group meetings in the Office of Sustainability with Green Grove Gameday Coordinators and sustainability staff
• Represent the Green Grove Initiative in a professional, friendly and knowledgeable manner (training will be provided)
• Attend Green Grove Ambassador orientation (1/2 to 1 full day).
• Work five home game Saturdays (prior to the Walk of Champions) for 2- 2.5 hours. During this time Ambassadors will lead groups of volunteers into the Grove or Circle to educate tailgaters and hand out recycling bags. On at least one of these five Saturdays, the Ambassador will be stationed with a group of 10 volunteers at the gates to the stadium to encourage fans to recycle beverage containers as they enter the stadium.
• Assist in volunteer recruiting and Green Grove program outreach and promotions
• Sort recyclables at the Oxford Recycling Center at least once during the fall semester
• Attend a tour of the Oxford Recycling Center.
Benefits of serving as a Green Grove Ambassador:
• Green Grove Ambassadors gain hands-on leadership experience by managing volunteers, thinking critically about program successes and areas for improvement and implementing new ideas as needed.
• Green Grove Ambassadors will directly impact the success of the gameday recycling program by increasing the effectiveness of volunteer efforts, ensuring clear and accurate recycling information is provided to tailgaters and serving as a knowledgeable and friendly representative of the initiative.
• Green Grove Ambassadors will gain a better understanding of sustainability topics with a focus on waste reduction. Ambassadors will learn about the importance of recycling and participate in behind-the-scenes tour of the Oxford Recycling Center.
To apply, complete the form below.