Green Fund Project Proposals
The UM Green Fund is currently accepting project proposals. Proposals are due by March 19, 2017 and can be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Before writing a proposal, please fill out this Google form.
The UMGF accepts project proposals once a year. All UM students, staff, and faculty are eligible and encouraged to submit project proposals. The UMGF exists to increase, promote, publicize, and fund sustainability at the University of Mississippi, with the express intent to improve the quality of life for all members of the campus community.
What to address in your proposal:
- Project Overview
- Project Purpose and Goals
- Project Details and Timeline – Please provide details about how the project will work, who will implement the project, and any details the committee should consider. Identify partners the project will need to be implemented and indicate whether you have reached out to the partners yet.
- Budget – For those projects that include an additional funding source, please include the amount of the additional funding and a letter of support from the contributing entity.
- Student Engagement – How will the project seek to inform or engage the student body?
- Project Evaluation – Please include a method of gathering data about how the project is working. What data will you gather and how?
- Proposal Contacts – Identify a primary and secondary contact
- Conflict of Interest – Have any of the Green Fund Committee members been involved in this project? If Yes, please identify committee members.
- Proposals should be 4-10 pages
Proposals will be reviewed using the following criteria:
- Impact: Projects should help the university advance the university’s commitment to sustainability and operational efficiency.
- Visibility: Projects should have an education and outreach component.
- Feasibility: Dream big, yet projects should be realistic and achievable.
Proposals should seek to address a sustainability goal, including but not limited to the following:
- Efficient use and conservation of energy, water and other resources
- Advancing UM’s transportation programs
- Increasing the university’s use of renewable energy from sources such as solar, wind, geothermal, and other renewable energy technologies
- Reducing campus waste
- Educating the campus community about environmental sustainability
- Making environmentally informed and sustainable choices more accessible to students, faculty, staff, and the Ole Miss community
- Reducing Ole Miss’ greenhouse gas emissions
- Improving the operational efficiency of campus buildings and infrastructure
Preference and priority will be given to project proposals that meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Demonstrate the greatest reduction in the University of Mississippi’s negative environmental impacts for the least cost.
- Include a strong campus-participation component.
- Yield cost savings to the university.
- Incorporate additional or matching funds from sources other than UMGF.
- Projects should address return on investment/lifecycle costs to support the prioritization of this project versus others under consideration.
All projects are required to have a mechanism for evaluation and follow up. At a minimum, a project plan must include a report made to the UMGF Committee after implementation. The UMGF will not fund projects that are solely for research purposes; however, a research component will not disqualify a project for funding.
Selection Process and Timeline
The UMGF committee accepts proposals twice per year—once in the spring and once in the fall. The UMGF committee will review all project proposals and select an initial round of proposals to consider. All proposers selected during the first round will then be invited to speak at the public hearing/forum. One member from the project group must be present at that event to present and answer questions about the project. Following the public meeting, the committee and, in some cases, the Vice Chancellor for Administration and Finance will make final selections.
Questions? Email email@example.com