Green Restaurant Certification
The Rebel Market
The Rebel Market is the first Green Restaurant Certified restaurant in the state of Mississippi and recently earned this certification by implementing environmental initiatives that meet strict guidelines from the Green Restaurant Association. These strict standards provide a way to measure environmental accomplishments and encourage restaurants to take the next steps towards increasing their environmental sustainability. The Rebel Market is scored on water efficiency, waste reduction and recycling, sustainable furnishings and building materials, sustainable food, energy, disposables, and chemical and pollution reduction.
Current sustainability initiatives at The Rebel Market include:
- Recycling: All cardboard, paper, aluminum, and plastic used by Rebel Market is collected and recycled by the City of Oxford.
- Composting: All pre-consumer food waste is collected by student interns from the Office of Sustainability and composted on campus.
- Trayless dining: Getting rid of trays helps reduce food waste, reduce cleaning chemicals used, and conserve water and energy.
- LED lighting makes up 25.4% of all lighting in the Rebel Market to reduce energy use.
- Reusable to-go containers: Using an Eco Clamshell container eliminates single use Styrofoam containers that quickly build up in landfills. Customers can purchase a reusable container from Rebel Market for just $5.
- Hydration Stations: These water bottle refilling stations encourage the use of reusable water bottles. No single use plastic bottles are sold at The Rebel Market.
- Meatless options: Vegetarian main dishes account for 36% of all main dishes offered. There are many vegan options to chose from as well.
Lenoir Hall dining is currently working to become Green Restaurant Certified and has already implemented recycling, composting, and vegetarian meal options.
Vegan and Vegetarian options
Freshii is a dining option on campus offering a wide range of vegan and vegetarian meals including rice bowls, burritos, soups, and salads. Freshii is located on the lower level of the Rebel Market.
The Rebel Market, the Grill at 1810, and the Residential College allow customers to fill a reusable Eco Clam Shell to-go box. In the effort to eliminate the use of Styrofoam or paper boxes, the Eco Clamshell is the only to-go box option offered on campus.
Bring a reusable coffee mug to Starbucks or Einstein’s and receive a discount on drip coffee!